Interesting Articles

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Simplicity of Heart

I’ve been going through a lot of my old stuff lately. For some reason I find great pleasure in cleaning out and getting rid of things that I do not really need. It wasn’t until my mom made a comment to me about it that I realized just how unusual my urge to purge really is.
I like to think that this quality is a good one. There is no need to keep around things that I never use and I have found a certain sense of freedom that comes with the material simplification of our lives. But then I was thinking; what I really should be working toward is an interior and spiritual simplification. I would do well to have that same obsession with cleansing the inside, working to get rid of the things I hold on to that do me no good or prevent me from growing closer to God. Although outward simplicity is good, we must not forget about simplicity of heart.
Even at this moment, I feel that my heart and mind are pulled in all directions. Many desires, doubts, fears, and dreams are fighting for my attention. If only I could be so determined in trying to remove the things that fail to form me into the person that I was created to be. Often times it requires much prayer and discernment just to know what we need to let go of. Though a good room cleaning (or even house cleaning) can be a lot easier, an interior simplification will put us much more at peace. May we always strive to find our freedom in Christ and keep our eyes fixed on him alone.

“Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.” Phil 4:8

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well put
This coincidently was a recently the subject of a homily I herd.
it's so easy to become distracted by all that suronds us almost unknowingly it's imporant to realise this and regain your center and nourish whats there.