Interesting Articles

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Exclusivity (of a different kind)

My brother wrote something for his house blog recently and it kind of got me thinking about how odd and ironic some of my beliefs and attitudes are. I feel so strongly against judging others who don't conform to our Christian ideals... to welcoming outsiders... to accepting with open arms those who some Christians might turn away in disgust. Unfortunately, I think I'm better at talking about this than I am at doing it but that's beside the point. Where the irony comes in is when I realize how much I judge other Christians, and especially Catholics. It's seems like the more we have in common, the more likely I am to find faults in the way others live or pray or whatever. How did commonality ever become so divisive? When we no longer are willing to pray or worship or fellowship with others unless it is done exactly the way we would like, that is a bit worrisome. I think that we should not be afraid to challenge our brothers and sisters in faith and share with them our views, but we also should not isolate ourselves from them when they disagree with us. There is much we can learn from each other and by uniting, we will be that much stronger and more effective as the body of Christ.
"For as in one body we have many parts, and all the parts do not have the same function, so we, though many are one body in Christ and individually parts of one another." Romans 12:4-5

If you want to read my brother’s post, it’s at http://quincyhouse.blogspot.com/2007_01_01_archive.html it’s the longer post for January 25

1 comment:

Aaron Linderman said...

Thanks for the shout-out.